Thursday 14 April 2011

Marilyn Monroe

Like many others, I am a fan of Marilyn Monroe..I own many things which have her face on it such as puzzles, books, CDs and I have a lot of her DVDS.
I think it all started when I saw Gentlemen Prefer Blondes many years ago...I love it! I love the songs and the characters - I think the dynamic between Monroe and Jane Russel is great! I was just trying to think about which song is my favourite but I can't  actually decide!
My gran then bought me a 3 disc set which included GPB, How to Marry a Millionaire and The Seven Year Itch. I love HTMAM again for its characters and it has a great ending... it makes me laugh everytime! Also, as I wear glasses - I love Monroe's character with her embarrassment to wear her glasses! Seven Year Itch didn't capture me as much as the others but I did still enjoy it.
My gran then bought me Some Like It Hot which is her favourite Monroe film which I really enjoyed because the story is amazing and Tony Curtis and Jack Lemmon were so good! But I still always preferred GPB  - maybe because it's the first one I saw so it'll always be my favourite?
The other day I bought 7 Monroe films which included Niagara which I love as it's completely different to what I was used to seeing Monroe do which also goes for Don't Bother To Knock which I really enjoyed!
When I read the synopsis I was a bit apprehensive about it as it said about Monroe being a little bit crazy - not her usual ditzy, blonde and singing self!
I really enjoyed it and thought that she did an amazing performance as the crazed, self harming babysitter! The story itself was really good as her craziness was completely believable as her character lost her partner in the war and she just wanted to have him back and then decides to imagine Jed as her lost Phillip!
If you haven't seen it I really really recommend it as Monroe is amazing and it's just really good!


I need to crack on with watching my other films and I think I will watch River of No Return next as I'm intrigued to see what a Monroe western will be like!
P.s I always call Marilyn Monroe "Mazza" when I talk about her which she probably wouldn't like so I made sure I didn't do it here!







No comments:

Post a Comment