Thursday 7 April 2011

Jersey Girl & Kevin Smith!

It's no secret amongst my friends that I am a massive Kevin Smith fan...not that I'm implying it should be a secret! I regularly convert friends into fans using Clerks and Clerks 2!


I also love his podcast PlusOne which he does weekly with his wife Jen Schwalbach which I find highly entertaining! It's also interesting to get a view of his life from the women who is there with him the whole time!


So out of the 9 feature length films that he has released - I have finally seen all of them!
I just finished watching Jersey Girl..I always put it off because I knew it was different to his other films such as Clerks 2 and Dogma! 

Although I was right about that, the story wasn't what I was expecting at all! 
I thought that it would be a soppy love story focused on Ben Affleck and Liv Tyler but I was wrong!!
The biggest focus was on the relationship between the character of Ollie (Affleck) and his daughter Gurtie (Raquel Castro). It is very moving and I was pleasantly surprised that, although I love him, that Smith could write a serious and sentimental story!



Now as with most films, I watch them with Stacey...or as I named her a minute ago "Stone-Hearted Stacey" as I have never seen her cry..! 
BUT... Duh Duh Duuuuuhhhh...
SHE CRIED!!!!!!!!!!! It was such a sad scene with Ollie and Gurtie when she is new born...bit of context here now - Gurtie's mum Gurtie died during childbirth so Ollie kind of resents the baby and isn't a good dad and just passes the baby off to his dad (George Carlin). 
Then in this scene...he decides to bond with the baby and it's sooo sad!!!! Like I said - I've not seen Stacey cry before so she was half laughing because she was embarrassed...!


But it was an amazing film, and as I said before I was surprised as although some parts were funny, some were very sad and it was so good!


I also cannot wait for Red State to come out and I'm gutted that Kevin Smith can't tour it in the UK but I will be pre-booking my cinema tickets to see if he can do Horror although I am not doubting him!!
I have also based two assignments on Mr Smith- one on Chasing Amy which was cool then one on Clerks which was better!
Maybe throughout my degree I may be able to write something on everyone of his films?!
Or maybe my dissertation..?!


But anyways...if you haven't seen it already..WATCH JERSEY GIRL! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment